Sons are a heritage from the Lord. Psalm 127:3

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Dough Handprint Ornaments

The kids and I had fun making Salt Dough Hand print Ornaments for Christmas as a special keepsake for their parents. We started them on Tuesday and I finished painting them on Wednesday. I was happy the way they turned out.......very cute!




Close up picture........look how tiny his hands are! :)


All of them are completed and painted. I can't wait to hang my boys hand prints on our Christmas tree now.
Salt Dough Hand print Ornaments:
4 cups flour
1 cup salt
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
Directions: Combine flour and salt in a bowl. Add warm water until the dough becomes elastic-y and will get to be formed into smaller balls. Then add oil. Add a little more flour or water as needed to make the dough easy to handle.
Form into balls so that when rolled out, they are large enough for your child's hand print. Roll dough about 1/8"-1/4" thick. Have your child make their hand print in the dough. Press the ends of each finger to be sure the print is impressed well into the dough. Use a drinking straw to make a small hole in the dough so that it can be used as an ornament.
Bake at 200 degrees for at least 30 minutes, until dough becomes hard. Remove from oven and cool on a cooling rack.
Once cooked, the ornament can be painted with acrylic paints, written on with a marker or covered with glitter glue. The possibilities are endless!
Note: I made my ornaments a little too thick, so I cooked them longer and the backs are still not hard enough. I know they will eventually dry out, but make sure you don't make them any thicker than noted! :)

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post. I will copy this and have the kids do this next year:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute and I am so doing this next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is sooo cute! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Your boys and your day care kids are so blessed to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! Thanks for the recipe! You rock, those turned out fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it all purpose flour or self raising

    ReplyDelete